Fixing an issue on my raspberry pi today took me down a long investigative path.
- New static IP lease was being ignored
- Noticed system time was off by 13 hours and 43 minutes
- Tested whether time was being automatically set (yes, said the daemon)
- Tested whether I could ping an internet IP address (yes)
- Tested whether I could ping google.com (no! Ah ha!)
- Looked to see if it could resolve any domain names (Nope! I know what this is!)
- Edited /etc/resolv.conf to put my DNS server address in there
- Time resets itself to the correct time
- The IP address changes after I restart the pi’s wifi
Just goes to show how important time and domain name resolution are to a functioning, networked computer! It also shows… I have some deep-seated ability to be one with the machine. I have no idea how I went through this sequence and just knew where I needed to go and what I needed to do.